Wednesday 5 October 2016

Pattern Work Diary




Planning



Evaluation and Progression 


  I chose this photograph as one which worked well with pattern because the arrangment of the windows represents pattern well. I did not need to adjust my camera settings because the natural daylight was best to work with in this situation. I think that the long shot approach I took when taking this works best when photographing a picture like this one. Sometimes, pattern is not obvious to the eye but if you start looking closely at everyday objects and how they are arranged, you enter the world of pattern. People would not usually look at a block of flats such as these and recognise pattern incorporated. The white painted surface contrast against the brown bricks, which breaks the pattern and makes it more pleasing to the eye. If I were to photograph this again, I would try taking it from further aback to capture the white and brown combination which would also be a pattern, as well as the windows. I would also try and cut out the top of the picture which would mean that the pattern of the white and brown and the arrangmwent of the windows would be solely focused on. I would also try and straighten up my photo - not pointing my camera upwards and instead straight ahead. However, it is sometimes hard to do this without a tripod because it is difficult to keep a steady hand.


   To improve tho photograph, I used Photoshop to crop out any distractions. I also straightened the photo up because it was slanted and looked messy. I adjusted the saturation and vibrance of the photo because it looked quite dull. In my opinion, there was very little changes I could make to this as it was how I had taken it that needed to be changed.









   I chose this photograph because I like the illuision that the continous pattern creates. It becomes confusing to keep up with the irregular pattern which is why I like it. I think that the angle in which I took it matches well with the illusion which it creates - it wouldn't be as interesting if I took it with a tripod or took it as a straight ahead angle. In my opinion, irregular patterns are more interesting than regular patterns and therefore, I like this photograph particularly well.  However, this image could be interpreted as bland because the pattern doesn't make up anything - it literally is just a picture of a pattern. The white tiles within the pattern are dominant and is what the eye catches onto first but then once we look at it further, we catch onto the purple ties also - this is what makes up the illusion. I do not think that I could have taken this picture in any other way which is why I also think that it requires minimal adjustments.







  This photo is of a church and the stained glass windows are arranged in a pattern. I like this because the beam of light which swoops across the windows, almost lights up the windows and presents the 'stained' yellow colour of them. However, I think that this photo would be better if I had adjusted the brightness on the camera, to show the colour of all of the windows. Adjusting the brightness would also prevent loosing the sight of the pattern on the left hand side of the church. If I were to take this photograph again, I would take it at a different angle. I could also adjust the aperture setting on the camera to capture a brighter image, rather than one which is dark. I could also return back to the church and retake the photo on a day which the weather is better, as I feel like the overcast sky effected the brightness of the photograph majorly.

  To improve this photograph, I used Photoshop to firstly adjust the brightness and contrast to bring out the brightness of the picture. I think that this made a major improvement to the image, making it appear more lively and the pattern shows clearer. I did not make any cropping adjustments to this photo because after I had made the previous changes, I felt like the photo did not need to be cropped.  




  I made further adjustments to the saturation and vibrance of the photo which made it stand out even more. The original photo needed a lot of tweaks to ensure it was sufficient in showing pattern. I think with the changes that I have made, it has brought out a better side to the picture. The pattern made by the windows is now obvious rather than before, it was very gloomy and hard to recognise the pattern first handily.





  I chose this photograph as one which presents pattern because the thick black beams create a vivid outline which shows the pattern clearly. I am drawn to the centre of the picture, where the lines all meet up. The lines lead up to the middle of the picture and from there, we make our own way around the picture. Half the side of the picture is lit up due to the sun gleaming onto it and the other half of the picture is dark and gloomy. However, it was hard to control this because I wasn't able to find an angle where the whole picture was of an equal brightness. Despite this, I think that it works pretty well in showing pattern because from the centre, the lines and shapes are equal on each side presented. This pattern is regular. In my opinion, I would not take this photo any differently because as previously explained, it was hard to work with the brightness and I also do not think that the angle of the photo should be changed. Therefore, I didn't feel like this photo needed any adjustments done to it using Photoshop because it already worked well with the subject topic.

  I chose this photo as one which would require some changes because although it does show pattern, I don;t hat that is is fascinating at all. The reflection distracts me form the actual pattern which was supposed to be dominant. I don't think this works well with the subject topic at all. The pattern and the picture as a whole is dull and gives me a sense of unhappiness. Therefore, I would not suggest any improvements to be made for this photograph because I do not think it would work well regardless at what angle I took it or how I edited it.

2 comments:

  1. a good talk to me about "perspective correction" for the top building shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done Ellie the work is improving... your grade is going up.. One area to focuss on is the rendering of some of your images as B&W and also the perspective correction

    ReplyDelete