Monday 3 October 2016

Form Work Diary

Planning




Evaluation



   I chose this picture as one which represented form well because it includes a lot of shadows which is important when photographing form. The flowers and leaves are withering which presents a unique form which is different to those of fresh flowers. Flowers represent life and it is interesting to look at how they grow and blossom, wither and die and therefore, the variety of forms they hold within their life cycle. The picture is very focused and it is clear to work out the texture of the plant. The leaves looks 'crunchy' and it makes us think about what kind of texture they have if we were to feel them in real life. The topic texture works well with form. For example, if the soft petal that we can see, look crunchy like the leaves, it may change what we think about the texture they hold.

Progression



    To edit this photograph, I used Photoshop to zoom into the part of the object that I wanted to be the main focus (the top part, cutting out some of the background). I enhanced the shadows within the picture by adjusting gamma correction, vibrancy and exposure. The intensified shadows presented the object holding a more distorted form. The individual outlines are specific to each flower, all holding a different form, now intensified by the adjustments I have made using Photoshop. If I were to take this photo again, I would take a variety of picture, some at closer angles to show the individual forms that each flower holds. I would then use Photoshop to make adjustments to see which pictures work best.

Evaluation

  I like this image because it has a really unique form. It is a static object which is built from metal. It is uncommon to see figures which are built from metal because most statues are built from stone etc. The material it is built from has made it able to create a more unique structure. The material looks woven as there are gaps in the figure. The figure looks like  person running and is very large. I like this photograph because it is eye catching.



Progression


  I used Photoshop to make this picture more appealing. The original picture was fairly dull and didn't supply much excitement. Our eyes are not immediately drawn to it because there is no contrast and there is too much background in the original image. Therefore, I used Photoshop to crop parts of the background out and to make it more contrasted. The metal figure is now more contrasted against the sky and there is less background space to avoid unnecessary distractions. I used the 'curves' selection to make everything in the image more defined and contrasted. If I were to take this picture again I would probably take a selection from a smaller distance away and focus on the form of certain sections rather than the whole object. I would also take another selection of images from different angles and possibly using a tripod to avoid cutting part of the object out when taking the picture.





Evaluation


  This is my favourite image which I took within this project of 'form photography' because I have focused the image well, evaluating the form of one single flower. The rest of the flowers in the background are unfocused and we cannot visibly see the definite form that they hold. I like how the bright yellow contrasts with the orange skyline because it creates a good base for the follower to significantly stand out against.


Progression

   In my opinion, my form project wasn't particularly successful because I don't feel that it showed my full potential as a photographer. I needed to explore different areas and focuses on more interesting forms. I also needed to use different angles and lighting to evaluate which ones work best to show form in a more intriguing way.

To progress this project further, I returned to this focus and looked at the different ways in which I could show more potential within my work.

    Here, I took an image of a prickle plant which has grown from the ground and formed a unique shape. I liked the harsh look to it and how the form was particularly uncontrollable. I think that this adds more of a range to my form photography. The soft texture of the underlying grass contrasts with the sharp texture of the object. I like this image because it is not dull or uninteresting, unlike some of my opposing images within this subject.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment