Thursday 8 September 2016

Line Work Diary

Planning


Evaluation and Progression

  The focus I had for my photographs was line and the different types such as: vertical, horizontal, diagonal, curved and converged lines. I looked for objects to photograph which would show different types of lines, possibly in a more interesting way. I will evaluate my photographs and add a progression section, suggesting how and why I should improve my images.


Evaluation


This photograph worked particularly well because I like the way that the lines from each side come together in the middle and form a arrow like shape. The photograph consists of both diagonal and vertical lines. Diagonal lines represent movement, change and action. Vertical lines represent power and strength. If I retook this photo I would ensure my camera was at a straighter angle so that the picture wasn't on a slant, like the one here is. I think this is an interesting photograph because of the shapes within it. To take this photo, I used a close-up shot because I felt within the focus of line, it
is better to take a close-up photograph featuring 'lines' rather than a picture taken at long range.

Progression

  To develop this photograph, I used Photoshop
to change it into black and white and adjust the
contrast/brightness. By doing this, I feel that it made the photograph more interesting to look at and brought out the details which are unclear in the original picture. The original photograph looks fairly dull and therefore, I think with the adjustments that I have made, it brings out a better side to the picture.                            

Evaluation


  I think this photograph effectively presents the focus of line. Again, a close up shot is extremely more effective. The object in this photo is a table tennis table - it is hard to originally suggest what the object is just by looking at this picture which is why I think the photograph is intriguing. The photo consists of both vertical and horizontal lines - both of which are reflected against the table which again makes it a more interesting photo. I think I took this photo at a angle that works best with



Progression


 To develop this photo, I used Photoshop to add a black and white effect, adjust the exposure and brightness. I also adjusted the brightness of the individual blacks and whites in the photograph. This made the shadows stronger and therefore
the lines reflected onto the table are more distinctive. Due to this, I feel like the photograph is extremely effective at showing the subject topic of line.

















Evaluation

    This photograph consists of diagonal, vertical and horizontal lines. Diagonal lines imply power, movement and change. I thought that this image worked particularly well because I like the arrangement with the sky in the background. The structure of the object is unusual which is why I think that it works well with the target subject in mind. I also like the criss-cross shape made by the lines. I think that the pictures I have taken, show how lines can make up different shapes. I used a close up angle for this photo because the structure of the object would have looked boring to look at and would be less linked to the subject of line than if I had used a long distance shot.


Progression

   I only made some subtle changes to the photograph because I already felt that the original photo was effective. I used Photoshop to adjust the exposure and brightness. this made the background seem lighter and therefore the object more focused. I also didn't crop out the part of the building in the picture because I do not think that this is what people would focus on when looking at the photo. If I were to take this photo again, I would straighten up my camera angle and possibly tried to exclude any other objects which are in the photo and focused solely on this particular object. For example, the part of building that is also in the picture.

Evaluation

   This photo works particularly well because it is the only one i took which I think shows curved lines in a interesting manner. I like the fact that there is a lot of things going on in this picture and you can see them through the gaps within the curved lines. However, curved lines represent calm, quiet and sensual feelings and due to the amount of things going on in this photo. However, I do like how you can see the plants in the background. i think that this creates calm feelings because of the feelings that nature creates.


Progression


  Again, I only made subtle adjustments to this photo. I cropped out some of the background because it makes the lines more focused. In the original picture, it was easy to get distracted with the other objects in the background. I adjusted the brightness, exposure and vibrancy to try and make the lines more focused. I think that next time I would try to take it at a different angle (possibly from above) so that it would be less 'busy'.






Progression

I chose this photo as one of my least interesting photos to represent the subject of line. However, I still think that it matches with the subject matter but just in a more plain way. I also think that the picture is dark and dull due the photo being taken indoors - this makes it even less exciting to look at. To make this picture less dark, I could have adjusted the aperture setting on the camera. This would allow more light to pass through the hole and therefore as a result, making the picture brighter. I don't think that this photograph links back to the deeper meanings of horizontal and vertical lines - it is hard to take anything from this photo because it creates a mask of gloominess and clouds any instincts you may have of it because of the uninteresting nature.

Further Progression



  I took some images to further progress my work within line photography. Here I took a picture of some trees in a forest. A fallen tree had caused an overlap of tree branches, resulting in an array of different types of lines. I like this image as a representation of line within photography because it is a natural environment. The tree had fallen naturally and created these array of lines.

1 comment:

  1. a very good work diary here keep it up. I like the comments about the aperture, i think you could show a lightened version of the image using Photoshop.. see me of you are unsure what to do.

    ReplyDelete