Friday 23 September 2016

Colour Work Diary

Planning




Evaluation and Progression

  My focus for this topic was colour and all different types of colour. I also looked at muted, saturated, analogous and complementary colours. When looking for objects to take images of, I took all of this into account and took a variety of images to show I understood different types of colours. I looked for objects which I could take pictures of that would present colour in a more interesting light.




  The colours in this photo such as red and green, are complimentary colours. They work well together and each colour stands out in contrast to the opposite colour. I like this image because the focus is good which is ideal for a good photograph showing colours, especially ones which contrast each other. The colours are saturated and vivid - they are bright and intense. I like how the background is bright also because this means that there is not too much else to focus on. It also ensures that people do not get distracted by any other colours other than red and green, when looking at the photo. If I were to take this picture again, I may take it at a different angle, to capture more of the colour red within the photo. This is because I feel as if although this picture works well with the topic of colour, that there could be more of the colour red. I think that this would make the picture better because there would be even more contrasted colours within it. I also could take it at a different angle to ensure that there is no background showing. The background works well with the colours however, it could make the picture better if there was no background in view.

  To improve this image, I used Photoshop to adjust the contrast, saturation and brightness to make the colours stand out against each other even more. They are now extremely saturated and intense which makes the colours even easier to focus on. The dominant colour is red and by improving the picture on Photoshop, it has made the colour red especially brighter. I only make subtle adjustments to this photo because I felt like it worked very well already. I cropped out some of the photo because with the adjustments that I had made, some of the berries had become barely visible and I thought that this spoiled the intensity of colour of the the berries.                          

Evaluation

   This photograph shows muted colour such as the grey and off red colours. I think that the muted colours on the building contrast well with the blue sky in the background. However, to improve this image I could make the muted colours deeper because I think the bright background over rides the muted colours shown on the building which makes it hard to focus on the other colours. I also think that if I were to take this again, I would take it at a different angle - trying to cut out most of the background and any other objects that are seen in the image. This is because the muted colours which I aimed to show, are not dominant and instead the background is. I like the fact that there are different tones of the muted colours. For example, there are some light grey tones and some dark grey tones. This adds more to the picture because it means that there isn't just two block colours. This picture is almost depressing due to the lack of saturated and intense colours - it creates a sense of darkness and unhappiness. 



Progression








I only wanted to make small changes to this photograph because I felt like nothing major should be done to make it better but would take in account how I would retake the picture if I had the chance. I adjusted the Exposure, offset and gamma correction. There isn;t much difference to the photograph but I think that the background looks less dominant than before and you focus more on the muted colours on the building. This picture doesn't work as well as other pictures because I should have taken it at a better angle but I do think that it is still effective.
    


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   


Evaluation



     I like this photo because there is no background space and it is filled with colour. All of the colours are very intense and saturated. There is a wide variety of colours in the photograph which is why it's one of my favourites. I also like how the balls have unintentionally been placed in an order which works well - there are none of the same colour next to each other. The colours are bright which make it exciting and each individual ball stands out - there is no specific ball which is brighter than the other.  The variety of colours within the picture create a happy effect.


 This photograph needed barely any adjustments done to it. However, I used Photoshop to make it even more saturated and vibrant. Each individual ball stands out even more and the colours are stronger/deeper. This gives me a strong sense of happiness and personally, I wouldn't do anything else differently to take this photograph. There is no interference with the colours which I had in some of my previous photographs which is why this fits so well with the subject topic of colour.







Progression

   In my opinion, this is one of my worst photos that I took to represent line. This is because  I don't like the angle that it was taken at. The image wouldn't be so bad if I had taken it as a long distance shot - I don't think it works well with the subject of colour. However, I do like the red against the black background because I think that these colours contrast majorly so therefore,  I think that this image would be effective in showing colour if I had taken it from a different angle. To improve on how I take my photographs to ensure that they work well with the topic, I should take several shots of the same object but from different angles and distances. this would also make my pictures more interesting rather than just looking at a picture that was taken from head - on. I could have also used a tripod to take this photo to prevent it from being on a slant. This would ensure accuracy of the lining in the photo.

1 comment: