Saturday 18 February 2017

Documentary Shoot Two Work Diary

   Planning



Evaluation and Progression

Evaluation


  Here I took an idea from my mind map of taking photographs of forests as showing rural life. When living in a rural area, there are forests located in close proximity and therefore, it is not uncommon to see here. In an urban area, such as London which I had previously photographed, most of the rural life has been destroyed due to demand of housing and buildings. Furthermore, there would not be particularly many forests such as this one when walking the streets of somewhere such as London. I like this image because the trees create a natural walkway for visitors to walk down and I like the fact that it creates a calming effect due to the muted colours and overcast sky.


Progression

  To progress my work, I used Photoshop to make only subtle adjustments because I think that the original picture worked well. I made adjustments to the saturation, contrast, curves and exposure settings here. The colours have been intensified and the picture generally looks brighter and better. If I were to take this picture again, I would maybe use a tripod and try to capture more of the tree length in to add depth to the image.



Evaluation

Here is an image that I took in a local park / pond area near to where I live. I really like this image because I have also captured people walking here. This adds some variation to my work within this project - instead of just capturing snapshots of empty rural areas, I have captured some action and movement in the scene. This particular area in somewhere where many individual come to relax, walk their dogs etc due to is being very calming and quiet. I like how it is not centred and path is offset. . It would be unusual to find somewhere such as this in a urban area such as a busy city such as London. Most of the space is built up with roads, houses, buildings, tourist attractions etc and there is not as much greenery or life within these areas.

Progression


   Here is my final edited image of the one previously shown. I used Photoshop to make some only small, subtle adjustments to this picture because I really liked it how it was. I adjusted the contrast and vibrancy of the colours which made them more vivid. I also adjusted the brightness and exposure of the image to make the people in the distance more visible. I like the final image better than the original one, despite only small adjustments being made. I like how the colours such as the green grass and the dashes of yellows from the planted flowers are now more saturated and vivid. This really highlights the beauty of an urban area such as this one. I don't think that I would do anything particularly different if I were to reshoot this image because I really like the final outcome. I feel like I really took my time when thinking about many things which build a good photograph such as composition, angle lighting and camera settings when taking this image.



Evaluation

    Here is an image I took of a small pond near to where I live. People come here regularly to feed the ducks and just relax in an environment away from drama etc. Small pond areas such as this one are not uncommon to see in rural areas like where I live. In the background, some houses are visible. If you were to travel to an urban area such as London, it would be rare to come across a small pond area like this one within a housing estate. I like the reflection of the surrounding trees on the pond. There is not much of a variety of colours in this image. I should edit this image in Photoshop to improve how visually pleasing it is.

Progression



   Here is my final edited picture to the one previously shown. I only made some very minor adjustments here because I liked how the original picture worked. I made the image brighter using the 'brightness' setting on Photoshop because I felt as if the previous image was very dull and dark, possibly due to the overcast sky on this particular day. However, I only adjusted this slightly because I felt like that this was all that was needed. I contrasted the tones more using the 'contrast' option on the editing program. I also adjusted the vibrancy of the colours to make the green in the image stand out better because I felt as if they were very muted. It is clear that I have only made some small changes to the previous image but I think that they have been very effective in the presentation of the image. If I were to take this picture again, I would maybe take it at a different angle to try to let more natural light into the image - this would prevent it from being as dark.


Progression


   I chose this image as one which I would need to improve. I did not choose this particular image because I think that it is bad however I think that it may work better in another area of photography such as line photography, rather than landscape. This is because I have not really captured the type of landscape image here which I was aiming for. I think that the images previously shown are a better take on landscape photography.


No comments:

Post a Comment